Feminist Blogs and Environmental Activism

Hi everyone, my name is Jillian, I am a political science major and WGS minor. This is my last semester at UMD. The Crunk Feminist Collective grabbed my attention immediately, their tag line is “Where Crunk Meets Conscious and Feminism Meets Cool”, over the course of my time at UMD all of the WGS

classes have spoken about the importance of having an intersectional lens in these spaces. One of their latest blog posts was on the reparations for Black women.

Environmental issues that may intersect through my day to day: There is a new gas pipeline proposed for the surrounding cities that I live in. Eversource is the energy company trying to revamp one pipeline and build another through two local cities through what they are calling the Western Mass Reliability Project. There have been local environmental activists that are protesting the pipeline. I have included some links to the local media that is covering these events. This pipeline, if approved by the state, will go through the city I live and also into another city I work in. There is a massive environmental activism community where I live.

5 thoughts on “Feminist Blogs and Environmental Activism

1. Hi Jillian,

Environmental issues often disproportionately impact marginalized communities, and it’s important to consider the intersectionality of these issues. The proposed gas pipeline in your area is an example of how these issues can intersect with other social and economic concerns, and can have a significant impact on the lives of residents in the surrounding cities. By staying informed about the issue through local media, and engaging with local activism, you can make informed decisions about how to support marginalized communities and work towards more equitable solutions. It’s important to support the voices of marginalized communities, who are often underrepresented in mainstream narratives around environmental issues and decision making processes.

2. Hi Jillian,
    I appreciate how your blog post highlighted the intersectional lens that Women’s & Gender Studies classes provide. It is important to understand the multiple layers of oppression in society that affect all markers of identity. I think your pair of WGS with Political Science will be a great addition in whatever career path you choose.

Gas pipelines are a significant environmental issue. I haven’t heard of the Western Mass Reliability Project, it’s shocking to hear that this is being talked about right in our own backyard. Are the environmental activism happenings in your community bringing their concerns to policy makers or keeping it within the local communities at meetings? If you’re interested in reading more about the environmental issues with pipelines, here is an article on the Keystone Pipeline which has been a heavily debated topic: https://www.nrdc.org/stories/what-keystone-pipeline .

Looking forward to your future posts!

Best,
    Kylie C.